22.12.08

well, you'd think....

Although not surprising, I'm surprised at how difficult it is to choose gifts for people. It's almost Christmas and all I have are ideas. Vague ones. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Just like the germs and bacteria in a microscopic landscape, I'll be able to squiggle and jostle about a crowded store and maybe, with a little Darwinian luck, I'll bump into the perfect items to give on Christmas morn. While the worst case scenario of that scenario would be that I would evolve into an evolutionist, it's unlikely. Basically, with so many trillions of other shoppers out there, I have a slight, if not miniscule, if not nonexistant chance of bumping into the right thing. More likely, there is the likelihood of a small run-in on a piece of trash that I will delicately wrap in expensive gift wrap to make myself believe it is a worthy give to give to someone I love so much that they will not even know what to do with it and will smile and say their thank yous and we will later be on our merry ways and depart henceforth, thankfully in opposite directions, for it would wrench my heart in bitter fashion to see my lovely gift thrown in the nearest rubbish bin. I love Christmas! It brings out the best in everyone. It is a bless-ed reminder to remind everyone to remember to remember the true meaning of Christmas. "Don't forget, children!" we say with tilted head and wide smile, a glint of merry joy in our eyes and a hushed whisper for effect, "it's in the name: Christmas!" With glee the children run around the Christmas tree, hands held high above their heads, which playfully bob side to side with the rhythm of their tireless dance of giving and love, and laugh their way to the floor where they smile contentedly before offering to take everyone their gifts and open their own last. Then they sit on their mommy's and daddy's laps and giggle squirmingly, eager to see the surprised delight in their parents' eyes as they cherish their young ones' gifts, dear to their hearts and forever guarded with the utmost care upon the fireplace mantel. They are small porcelain gifts, painstakingly painted and glazed and fired hot to perfection with little delicate strokes by little delicate fingers, and they look like the gods and godesses of ancient Zarathustra, with the truest of virtues etched exquisitely in the bottom corners in such a way that when the sun beams of an evening sunset caught them in just the right way, they would glint and shine in their parents caring hands. They were obviously simple gifts, nothing that showed any kind of special intelligence or talent for sculpting or artistry, but they were special, for it was almost as if they had been wrought with the very blood of the children. But of course they had not been, that would be foolish.

Well, that's how Christmas goes down in my home. What's your story like? I'm sure it's different, maybe just as good in its own way, but it's probably the only story that your family could ever tell. To whisper a different tale, well, that just wouldn't be right. Remember though, to include a reminder to remember to remember the true meaning of Christmas. Otherwise, all your greedy, grinchy, stressful, loveless, tedious, load-bearing, cold, boring, usual, run-of-the-mill, unwanted gifts might not mean quite so much.

(Note: I just wanted to write something because everyone else seems to have good stuff to say all the time. So I just let my miserly fingers type out what my grinchy mind came up with and if you hate me, fine. If not... I'll try harder next time.)

8 comments:

TaraB said...

Stoffer...you are a silly fellow. I like your style. I hope you found some good useFULL not useLESS presents to give the family. Merry CHRISTmas to you my friend!!!

Anonymous said...

Brosef, that was awesome! I do feel as dirty as a germ trying to fight the crowds while shopping. I haven't done my shopping yet... Anyway the blog was a thoroughly enjoyable read and maybe I wont buy any gifts and I'll use the true meaning of Christmas as my excuse. Maybe I can even go so far as to say gifts distract from that. No, I'll probably get a few things...

Ben Schnell said...

my family finally decided that the joy of not having to buy each other gifts was better than the joy of receiving them, which may sound or actually be selfish, but I thought it was awesome...

Brittany said...

not even sure if you will get this comment, since you wrote this way back in december. anyways guess this helps me understand a little bit better why you despise christmas so, but i think you need to work on looking past the negatives of this season and look for the positives. if you look at it as a time when kids are just greedy and begging for presents or as a time when people spend more time shopping than meditating on christ, of course it sounds like a terrible holiday. perhaps you should look for all of the giving done in this season, the family get togethers, and how more people are willing to think of christianity at christmas than any other time of year, even if not to the degree that they should. nothing in this world is perfect, it is all in attitude and the approach you take on things. so no, i do not hate you, but don't be afraid to take a look at things from a different light....also another note while i am still on my soapbox and you are already prob mad at me- i truly respect that you are willing to do and say whatever you want whether it makes those around you happy or not, but people are always a lot more understanding when they realize the thoughts behind a person's actions, it doesn't hurt to share them.....it is impossible to not repeatedly do something to annoy another person if one doesn't even know what they are doing wrong...k im done, hope to still be friends after this :).

Andrea said...

Just wanted to confess that I pretty much completely agree with your assessment of Christmas. I can think of a lot less stressful holidays with a lot less expectations around them. Well, Valentines Day gets an honorable mention, maybe.

Unknown said...

This is your mother. Tell me more about the ancient city of Zarazuthra (or wherever it was) LOL And speaking of Christmas presents, how is my scarf coming along? LOLer

Unknown said...

This is your mother. Tell me more about the ancient city of Zarazuthra (or wherever it was) LOL And speaking of Christmas presents, how is my scarf coming along? LOLer

Unknown said...

Oops! Got carried away with the enter button . . . sorry