30.11.09

i would spare her first

I have to write my last feature article for Magazine Writing class this week (due next) and I think I want to do it on people's favorite instruments.  I've always figured that if my house was burning, one of the first things I would grab would be my violin.  I started trying to research people's favorite instruments but couldn't find much.  I'm sure the stories are out there, but I was having a hard time coming up with anything. There are several forums, though, where people ask what others would grab if there house went up in flames.  Many people talk about their laptops, their photo albums, their safes or their SS docs and passports, etc.  Oh, and that is all assuming that their family members and pets are safe.  One person mentioned their razor and shaving cream so that they would look good still.  I think it was a joke.  I looked at quite a few responses on two or three forums and only once saw a mention of an instrument.  And it was a piano.  I'd like to see someone trying to lug their piano out of flames and smoke.



Anyway, my violin means a lot to me and I think it'd be neat to get other people's perspectives and stories.  If you have any, contact me.  If you know anyone who loves music and plays an instrument (or even better: multiple instruments), contact me.  Otherwise, think of the important things that you'd like to save and then keep hoping your home never goes up in flames.

7 comments:

chelsea said...

I love my guitar. A lot. I named him Marty and he is like my child. If you ding him in the face, I'll ding you in the face... Is that what you're looking for?

Nicholas said...

I wish I could say I loved my guitar as much as Chelsea loves hers. But I love hers more too. One day I'll have a guitar that is bound to my heart and soul and worth jumping through flames for. But the thing I play at home right now, I got for free.

Ben Schnell said...

I love my drum set, but that would also be difficult to remove quickly from a fire. I don't think I quite qualify. I don't have attachments to my particular drum set actually, I could see myself loving a different one very easily.

TaraB said...

I played the tambourine once.

BrittanyK said...

Hope this project is coming together for you. It was cool conversing about it yesterday. I want to see the end product. I'm serious. Send it to me. Or even better, post it.

Brittany said...

chris,
i think i would like to see someone try to get a piano out of a flaming house too...think i might find the situation more funny than awful. actually didn´t know that you were so attached to your violin, you really need to play it more often! i actually dont know if i have ever heard you play it! sadly i don´t think my clarinet or guitar would be one of the first things i would grab, so i guess i am not a very good candidate for your story, but there is a sm down here who is a music major and is pretty passionate about it so will ask her if she has any good stories about jumping into her burning house to save her instruements.....i think she plays the violen, sings, plays the piano and other junk....

Miss Jehle said...

I once was in a burning building and I saved my General Chemistry textbook. I'm not sure that what people actually do in these situations is a true reflection of their values.