23.4.10

I just talked with a conductor.

I have to write three articles for my Advanced Reporting class final project and I just got done speaking with Maestro Bernhardt of the CSO.  I got the email from their marketing director with his phone number in it earlier this afternoon and had to work up to calling him.  I went over some articles and bios that I'd printed and tried to write out an outline of what the article about him might look like so I would have an idea of questions to ask.  Well, after eating a little food for sustenance and to stall a little longer, I finally dragged my computer, recorder, notes, and phone over to my desk.  



I interviewed him without my shirt on.  But over the phone, who cares!?  It was great.  The first time I called him I dove into my introduction and "I'm not sure if Mrs. Wilson told you I was calling, but..." and he said he knew, but could we talk in 10 minutes when he gets to his office.  So he actually called me back after I agonized once again over what I was going to ask him (oh, because he mentioned being able to talk for ten or fifteen minutes, which for a Chris Clouzet interview is basically just getting passed hellos.).  Turns out he was quite easy to talk to and I think my little preparation time was actually helpful.  Basically: it was very helpful and it was rather fun to speak with him.  He talked with me for 29 minutes.

At the end he even said to tell my teacher that I asked good questions.  Finally!  Some real commendation.  And I'm not as reluctant to believe him--even though he probably wasn't expecting much since I'm a student and probably was being generous--because he's been interviewed quite a lot as the head of the CSO and a guy who said he's guest conducted at 60-70 orchestras, maybe more.  So pretty much I appreciated that experience.  Ironically, although it was probably one of the most well-known people I've ever interviewed (besides Mark Finley), it was probably the most comfortable I've been in an interview.  It might even rival interviewing David Macias.  



I'm sending my resume to the Kentucky-Tennessee communications director for a possible internship.  

2 comments:

Nicholas said...

I just found out I can check all the boxes if I want to. Apparently, I indicated that I relate, that this piece was [at least part] interesting, dumb, inspiring, funny, and sad.

Or maybe I just like clicking check boxes.

TaraB said...

you ask good questions! Show me your ways Chris Clouzet. Interviews stress me out. In other news... Kentucky-Tennessee! Yeah! You rollin' now!