25.4.10

Well, here we go everyone!

This is my 100th post.  I was hoping it'd be something more epic.  But I guess this time in my life is probably one of the most epic times so far.  This week is transition week.   I transition from being a full-time student, surrounded by people I know and am comfortable with, with hundreds of Seventh-day Adventists, near a track, trails, and a nice gym, able to know where I'm going to eat and lay my head down at night and go to work in the morning.  Next week, I may not have or be able to do any of those things.

I just read Barry's blog; he said he's a wanderer.  I wish I could say that sometimes.  I'm more of a stayerer. But in some ways, I'm ready for next week.  Driving last night under the highway lights, under a dark sky, 78 mph, with the steady drone of passing miles under the tire--it made me want to go travel.  Spending a few minutes under the huge buildings made me think of Buenos Aires and Singapore and... somewhere else.  Even hearing the library person at ten 'til eleven invite us to leave over the loudspeaker makes me want to be in an airplane again.  I think it's time.

I've lived in Collegedale for more than 17 years now.  I don't really want to leave.  But I do.  I just wish everyone was coming with me.

7 comments:

chelsea said...

Yeah... yeah.

krista said...

oh dear. this makes me really sad. i hate to think of all my friends leaving. p.s. the way you write, chris, is so beautiful. you can take random thoughts and make them so moving.

Brittany said...

always rough hitting the point of change! totally understand right now as i am torn about leaving peru. ready for the next adventure of life, but will miss the people i am leaving behind...but it always works out for the best, and there are always the memories...p.s. when are you heading out and where are you going?

Alyssa said...

In a way, I envy you. I've only got a narrow road for years yet. Stuck, no room to wander. Just...go as far as you can stretch, and then go farther.
And yeah, I hit my 100th post and wanted it to be epic...'twas a nice thought. But your life's pretty epic right now anyway.

Unknown said...

Congrats, my thoughtful friend.
Here's to friends at the starting gate, on the course, and at the finish line. They're just waiting to be found as you discover more of who you are and who you want to be along the way. See you in less than a week. :)
Oh, and where are you going? And what are you doing? "I don't know." is a perfectly fine answer, but it sounds like you've got more up your sleeve than that.

BrittanyK said...

Chris, I'm excited for your future. You are going to be awesome! I'm going to miss our grocery runs for now, but who knows? Maybe we'll all live together one day....and if not here, we will in heaven. Hoo-ray!

Jessi Jo said...

Chris friend I will reiterate...i will miss you heaps! Glad you are 100 :)