4.11.10

Peace like a piece

We sang Peace like a River tonight in class.  I hope it's okay to sing songs that you don't feel.  I didn't feel peace like a river or love like an ocean.  I was trying not to feel much.  I've soared and now been shot down.  Back to the walk, the grind, the long haul.  I guess I did soar there for a bit.  That's something.

Now I know where the tortillas and shredded cheese are at the market.  Now I see what a little cooking effort can produce.  Now I know that not all cats hate me, and that dogs are mostly as disgusting as ever.  And chickens, too.  Now I know that my resources for English class are plentiful, that I have no right to complain about my situation here at all.  Now I know that life without the internet is quite possible.  Now I know that the country is better than the city and the city is better than the country.

So.  Here's to the trudge.  Here's to having the water, if not the feelings.