4.1.11

mint ferment

The way I see it, the world is all backward.  The temperature is slowly and steadily rising here in my little city, and with it, the uncomfortableness of my feet.  They just suffer silently inside these stifling shoes.  I allowed my mind to hate on the situation for a few moments just now.  I thought, if I was in some mud-engulfed, rocky, crappy place I'd probably long for stifling shoes.  Or if I was in some sub-zero, icy, frigid tundra I'd probably long for stifling shoes.  But I'm here in a lovely climate, on nice sidewalks and clean floors, hardly needing to walk at all... stuck in my stifling shoes.

So, can I trade?  With that other guy who lives in the jungly place (if he has a job)?  Or with that other guy who slides to work on the ice (if he has a job)?  Maybe I could come to work in some handmade work slippers and he could go to work (if he has...) in my brown leather Scandinavian stiflers.  And maybe while we're at it, we could trade shirts, pants, and ties, too.

But then people visiting the offices would see me barefoot and wonder what the church leaders were thinking, letting in this bum.  After all, bums belong in the jungle and the tundra--without shoes.  Privileged people belong in privileged climates--with shoes.

So yep, there it is.  The world's backward.

(Of course... I wouldn't want to trade my computer or even just my Nalgene... backward world indeed.)

And when I said Enough, my mind stopped hating.  I'm just thankful this is the worst of my burdens this morning.  And I'm sure I'll want my shoes back soon enough.