22.3.11

everybody knows El Niño means The Niño

I thought I noticed differences a few days ago, so yesterday I looked into it a little more carefully.  Sure enough:

The Wall Street Journal:  Col. Moammar Gadhafi
The Guardian:  Muammar Gaddafi
New York Times:  Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi
Los Angeles Times:  Moammar Kadafi
Chicago Tribune:  Moammar Gadhafi
Boston Globe:  Moammar Khadafy
San Francisco Chronicle:  Moammar Gadhafi

And then I looked up what smarter, paid people have to say about it.  Like this person.  Apparently there are numerous spellings because there is no "universally accepted authority for transliterating Arabic names."  And the man himself hasn't established a "Roman orthography" for his own name.

My name is cool.  I like it.  I think it's funny, though, that Dad always says they chose it so that it would work in several languages.  Instead of the ph they chose ff so that it would be pronounced the same in Spanish (and French and Italian and Chinese?).  Ironically, people here or in Argentina never get my name right.  It's usually Cris.  But I've gotten Cristopher, Christ, Cristofer, and maybe a couple others.  Sometimes people call me Christian.  And ph has never been a problem.