26.8.10

The Library

I went to the Portland library today with Ben.  It wasn't a date.  He had to help someone talk with a lawyer.   (It was successful.)  But we had fun putting coins in the meter before going in.

I found a couple books on Peru for my research paper.  And the ladies downstairs where the "real" books are helped me figure out that I can find country studies done by the government online via links at their website.  That's pretty cool, I thought.  I also spent some time in their catalogue and on my sister's facebook page where she had asked for people to put some book recommendations up.  It was a great resource for books that have been on people's minds recently.  I thus spent some time at the fiction section because many of the suggestions turned out to be fiction.  I guess I have to admit that I like fiction as well.  I've never read too much non-fiction.  It's a fact that I let myself feel guilty about.  And frankly, I think I should feel guilty about.  Don't worry about letting me know how you think either way.  I won't like it no matter what, and right now I don't care, either.

I like libraries.  And I like books.  Is it Inkheart where the dad is a book repairer guy?  Well, I thought that would be a neat job.  Of course, I've always wanted to be a blacksmith, too.  Neither will ever happen.  I still like books though.  I will write one someday.  It will probably have some notable sentences, maybe a neat thought or two intermingled.  But I think the best part will just be the feeling of having organized thoughts and creativity into something that someone can call a book.  That, I imagine, is a decent feeling.

It was nice to go to the library today.  Incidentally, the job of librarian has also intrigued me for a time.  They seem like they work in a good place.

6 comments:

chelsea said...

I've often thought that it would be sweet to be a librarian. But too quiet. And I love to laugh. Maybe I'll just visit a library soon. Any suggestions for good books to read? I've decided that this year I will read a lot (since I didn't get to read much for pleasure whilst in college).

Jessi Jo said...

Chels...you still haven't read The Bronze Bow have you? You need to read that one...Chris and I both LOVE it! Well...I love it. I think Chris has strong positive feelings for it...we wouldn't want to get to carried away and call what he feels for that book love. Read it and tell us what you think!

Nicholas said...

read Crashing Through if you want some interesting non-fiction.

chelsea said...

I DID read it, silly. I thought it was good, though not quite as good as the Witch of Blackbird Pond. I'm currently reading a book about Sin Eaters, which I had never heard of this practice before. Apparently in the 18th and 19th century, in English and Scottish cultures, someone would be designated a Sin Eater, and would show up to funerals and "eat" the dead person's sin so they wouldn't have to burn in hell. When the Sin Eater died, they would have to burn for everyone's sin that they ate in their whole lives. Crazy, huh? But its fiction. The book, not the practice. Anyway...

BrittanyK said...

Chris--I wish you were hanging out in a library in Tennessee-then we could watch a foreign film together. or run the gammut. i'd let you choose...

TaraB said...

Chrees. I laughed out loud when I read this... only because you're so matter of fact. And sometimes it's just really funny to me. Chels-I think that sounds like a super disturbing book.... and the visual I got wasn't that pleasant either.