29.8.10

Lunch! Lunch for everyone!

Sometimes you give without meaning to at all.  I did this past Saturday and it wasn't super rewarding or anything, but at least I find it funny.

After church Ben and I got our peas and spaghetti all made up and we went and sat down at the tables in the church basement (really, it's like a fellowship hall, only downstairs).  Someone came in and started talking with Ben.  And then these boys were running around.  One of them spotted the frozen brownies that I'd left on the counter to thaw for a bit while we ate lunch.  I ended up giving them to the boys, figured they'd enjoy it.  I said they could eat them after they ate lunch.  Little did I know...

Their dad came in and caught the tail end of my instructions.  He must've thought I was the man or something because right away he introduced himself as Tim.  Tim is 28 and is married to his wife.  Go figure.  She's 35.  They have four boys.  Tim's shy, he says.  He doesn't normally talk like this.  But for the next three hours he basically talked non-stop.  I'm a sucker.  I let him do it and didn't do anything to try and stop him.  Not even very many nonverbal signals or anything.  Our "conversation" went from the kitchen to outside where it was quieter (and much hotter), to the shade nearby, to back in the basement in a children's sabbath school room.  Meanwhile, the wife and kids help themselves to spaghetti of Ben's and mine, my peas, and most of my popsicles and juice.  I just watched them running around eating my popsicles the whole time I "talked" to Tim.

In the end, Ben came and rescued me, I suppose, and I learned that I need to always have something to do next so that when the next Tim comes along I can peace out before hour two.  Also, that I should always make enough spaghetti and peas for four growing boys and a super-patient mom (you wouldn't even believe...).

And that's how I shared with a whole family and none of us even knew it.  At first.

7 comments:

Nicholas said...

it's good to know what's happening in friends' lives. keep it coming.

chelsea said...

Chris, maybe you can meet a hot lady who's 30 and have four kids with her.

TaraB said...

bahahaha. Chelsea's comment is so random! Unless it's a Wawona joke. And in that case...that's not funny at all.

Alyssa said...

Made me laugh. :D

Ben Schnell said...

sorry I didn't rescue you a few hours earlier...

Hannah said...

Did Tim's wife happen to be Gloria? If so. . . I know these people. . . Keep sharing Christoffer. . . of your time, your food, your thoughts.

Lisa said...

I'm smiling and laughing at the same time. I've so been there.