7.10.10

The hard floor

On a whim, I decided to try and sleep out in the garage area of our house last night.  I got my sleeping bag and headed out.  It was 11:15 or so, later than I usually go to bed here.  My housemate was already in bed. I needed to see the sky and breath fresh air.  I needed to try to think for a bit.  And I needed a hard floor.

I don't know, I like sleeping on hard floors sometimes.  Last night it was concrete, my thin sleeping bag, my t-shirt and long-sleeve shirts, and then my backbone.  I liked it very much.  I even got to think for a few minutes before allowing sleep to overcome me.

I had to get up and go to my room around 4:15 though because the concrete was too cold and my sleeping back too thin.  It was probably only about 58 degrees, but I figured I wouldn't battle it out that night.  I went to my bed.  It's funny though.  I never warmed up.

I like hard floors.  Sometimes they're just the right place to be, the right place for me.  I like only having myself to keep me comfortable.  But yes, I think I like going back to a bed, too.  I still find it strange though, that I didn't warm up.  Is this how it's always going to be?  Maybe I should just stay on the floor, by myself.  Cold.  Under the starless, city sky.