25.3.10

Jesus needs two attempts?

This is from a blog of a pastor of a large modern church that I occasion upon.  I read it quickly and have to keep working on other stuff, but I thought the thought was thoughtful and interesting.  I wonder why Jesus did take two attempts to heal that man?  I think he makes some valid points about prayer.  I would really love to compile different answers to prayer from differing religious affiliations and denominations and compare them.  God is the same for all of us.  Does He work the same with everyone?  I doubt it, but I want to understand the difference.  Is it possible?  Maybe that can be for graduate school.  Maybe for a future book project.  Maybe not.  Probably the Christian world isn't interested in working too closely together.  We don't believe in John 17.  Good thing too, or we would be too powerful and influential for God to have any room to work.  Right?  Good thing??




Two Attempts

Bookmark and Share
Remember when Jesus heals the blind man but it takes two attempts? For some strange reason, that is blessing me big time. Even Jesus needed two attempts. I find tremendous encouragement in that. And I think there are a few lessons to be learned.

I think many of us give up after our first attempt so we forfeit the miracle. Keep praying for the miracle. Give God a chance! I also think some of us are satisfied with a partial miracle. Don't settle for half a miracle. Keep believing God for the whole thing! Finally, some miracles happen in stages. It doesn't happen all the way right away.

Mark 8:25 says: "Then Jesus laid hands on his eyes again." The operative word is "again." Is there something you need to pray for again?


4 comments:

chelsea said...

Oh my word. Chris, this is just the thing I needed. It's just like the story of Jacob wrestingling with God, demanding a blessing and not letting go. I really, truly needed this. Thank you for posting it!

Nicholas said...

giving up is for quitters. this is a good brainwave.

Ben Schnell said...

yeah, I found the thought fascinating too

Brittany said...

grad school hmmm? btw, good reading, thanks for passing it along