16.3.10

"This is so strange! No one's here!"

Everyone's wondering why no one is showing up to ESL tonight. I'll tell you why: there's not much motivation to do so.  When I learn a language, which I do all the time, obviously, I want to have a teacher that teaches  me relevant things, that corrects my pronunciation, that is willing to answer my questions or look them up to answer later, and that has a book that is useful.  I think all of the ESL teachers have most of those things except I'm skeptical of our book.

It has an old feeling about it, and the things it teaches don't seem very relevant.  I guess it's mostly for conversational English, but the lack of grammar instruction is a bother to me.  I suppose that's why there are separate classes for composition, grammar, and conversation when you go overseas through an ACA program.

Anyway, I thought it was funny.  Apparently there is always a little slump after spring break, they're also saying now.  I guess that's good to know.

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

Why ESL? Why you?

Nicholas said...

mouse seat? oh, I get it...

Brittany said...

i love your sarcasism...oh and by the way, about your last blog, way to run your legs off, and by the way, you totally brought up george news, not me this time ;)