14.1.10

Freedom of the Press

I'm currently burrowed deep in the library's veins, trying to keep my forehead from becoming too tense and my eyes somewhat moist under this absurd draft of chilly air constantly moving passed.  I'm preparing for a debate tomorrow in Mass Comm and Society class.  I'm to argue that we have enough freedom of the press in this country.  The more I read, the more I actually agree with this statement.  I did not choose this side of the debate, instead leaving it open for the other person to choose which side they cared for and thus, taking the opposing viewpoint.  I'm glad she picked the other one.  Here is an exceedingly interesting interview with a man who knows the context of the current debate on freedom of the press.  At least, he did in 2005. I suppose he very well could know more now.

This is the cool article, in case you're interested.  I recommend especially the last paragraph, if nothing else (although, it may not be as meaningful when you're not reading the whole article, studying print journalism, and currently in three classes that involve a lot of what journalism is about--in which case, I don't mean to bore you).

3 comments:

chelsea said...

In the library again, eh? Such a beast....

Anthony said...

I agree with Chelsea. You are a Libeast. The mythical animal that is incredibly strong yet has a voracious appetite for learning. Good work.

Ben Schnell said...

I read that last paragraph, and it made me want to read the first amendment to see what he was talking about. Its probably over now, so I hope the debate went well?